Scribal Arts

So one of my goals with this blog is to help document some of my artistic works for posterity. in that vein, here are a couple of scrolls I did this weekend at the Ren Faire. These are going to Darkwater, since I did them to help out Lana with a stack of them she needed to complete. The Calligraphy, while beautiful, is not mine.

The first scroll is based off of a page from the Visconti Hours, which I believe is about 1400's Italian:

One of the things I enjoy about this particular book is that the Visconti apparently believed in showing off their wealth, so every page is absolutely dripping with gold leaf.  Some of it is very whimsical too, like this tree with little buildings perched all over the branches.

My process for this one was to rough sketch everything out, and then do back with a micron and add the detail while inking everything in:





I'm fairly satisfied with the finished product. It looks a little cartoony to me, especially in comparison with the original, but I think all my scrolls look a little cartoony. But I am especially pleased with some of the detail work I managed, particularly the shading on the little monk.

I call this one my pomegranate house




Little Monk, sitting in a tree, r-e-a-d-i-n-g




And full final project:




The second scroll I did wasn't based off of anything in particular. It's based of of a more German design, with lots of line work. The pictures are pretty bad on this one, but if you squint you can see the linework done in green micron:




Comments

Post a Comment